It’s been quite a day. On Friday night, I asked – no, demanded – that my husband and I get in bed by 10:30 p.m., because I had a long run to do in the morning and I was determined to be done before the sun started blazing down at 8:30 a.m. (He’s a stay-up-late kind of guy, and I find it hard to fall asleep if I know he’s going to be in a couple of hours later, making noise like a bull in a china shop.) Gracious guy that he is, he agreed, and we were asleep before 11. Score!

The alarm went off at 5 a.m. and I got up. This was the earliest I’d ever gotten up for a long run. In the past, I’d only trained for half marathons, and they were usually in the winter, so I was able to train in October and November, when temps are cooler and you don’t have to get up before the sun. I was a little nervous about running in the dark, but I fueled up, grabbed my Mace and I was good to go.

I wore my headlamp for the first 30 minutes or so. It was weird because the moths started circulating around the light, and a few of them came dangerously close to flying up my nose. I tried to get a pic, but it wasn’t very good:

 photo 5B8A956D_zps0f1b0ef7.jpg

What this pic does not show is that I also ran through a small wooded area and – because it was dark – caught a spiderweb full-on in the face. This is usually the stuff of nightmares for me, but I guess I had some adrenaline going on or something, because I waved around like a wild woman for a few seconds and then kept going.

Anyway, it was totally worth getting up at the crack of dawn. Temps were (relatively) cool and the weather was breezy. I could have run much faster, but I slowed way down and was able to run the whole 8 miles at a consistent pace. I think. I’ll have to check the Garmin later. (You can’t see it, but I am wearing my new Jam Transit wireless earbuds. More on those in a day or two.)

I returned a little after 7. Normally I’d take a shower and then crash, but I had committed to being in a fashion show for a Democratic women’s group. (Lots of fun, but I didn’t get pics – I hope someone will send them to me soon!) So I spent a couple of hours on that, and then it was on to a housewarming across town for a friend. By the time we returned home around 4 p.m., I was exhausted. I took out my contacts and crawled into bed, checked email and then put my head on the pillow. The next thing I knew, it was 5:30 p.m.

It was a good day, but a very tiring one. Plus, I have some delayed-onset muscle soreness from Friday’s strength training, so that’s making things tougher. Looking forward to resting and recovering on Sunday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *